Hazard Kentucky and Perry County: A Photo History
The Early Years
1930s - 1940s
1950s - 1960s
1970s & Beyond
Flood Pictures
Guest Book
Message Board

Site Map
R. C. Newberry
Three newspaper articles from 1911 - 1912 detailing the illness, death, and aftermath of an early community leader.

Hazard Herald: Late 1911

R. C. Newberry, whose sudden serious illness was announced last week, is believed, by Dr. Durham and other physicians attending him, to have a strong chance of recovery. There is a possibility that peritonitis may yet set in, but that danger has diminished with each passing day. Although very low, his condition has continued such that there is room for strong hope of his recovery, but he is rallying slowly.

The great worry and strain incident to the heavy losses by fire which Mr. Newberry suffered prior to his sudden illness probably made strongly against him in this crisis, but his forceful mental vigor and nerve were the factors that were calculated to bring him through. Friends and neighbors have attended him faithfully, and earnestly looked and hoped for signs of improvement.

Dr. Woolfolk Barrow, the well known surgeon of Lexington, responded instantly the call for his services and rode all night from Jackson, last Wednesday night, to perform

The operation was successful, but there seemed slender hope that the patient could rally
operation for appendicitis early Thursday morning. The case had gone so long that the saving of minutes in getting the operation performed was important. The operation was successful, but there seemed slender hope that the patient could rally. Life continued to cling by a slender thread, however, until both the high temperature and pulse have gradually subsided and there is new hope for the best.

Miss McCarty, a trained nurse from the Good Samaritan Hospital at Lexington, came with Dr. Barrow to assist in the operation.


Obituary (11-0 9-1911)

One for the saddest, and in many respects, the most unexpected, deaths that has recently come to our community was experienced Sunday afternoon about 6 o'clock when R. C. Newberry passed away at his home on Cedar Heights.

Exactly two weeks ago Mr. Newberry was taken ill and a physician summoned, who pronounced the trouble appendicitis. A specialist from Lexington was called, who performed what looked to be a successful operation on Thursday of that week and many of the friends were hopeful for his recovery. But on last Friday he showed signs of rapid decline which continued without intermission until the end came Sunday.

The funeral services were in charge of his pastor, Rev. A. S. Petry, who had been very faithful in his care and attention to Mr. Newberry during his illness, assisted by Rev. W. V. Cropper, pastor of the Methodist Church at this place. A large concourse of people were in attendance and most of the business houses were closed during the services, and some fittingly draped, all of which constituted a very eloquent expression of the high honor and esteem in which Mr. Newberry was held. After the services at the chapel of the H. B. I., the Masonic Fraternity, of which Mr. Newberry was an honored member, took charge of the body and bore it to the cemetery and interred it with the honors of the craft.

In the death of this man
, Hazard sustains a heavy loss.
In the death of this man Hazard sustains a heavy loss. She had no more valuable man within her limits. He was a progressive business man, and, although having lost heavily in the recent fire, yet he was undaunted, and was making extensive preparations to raise from the ashes of his destroyed business a business that was to be more solid and enduring even than he had formerly enjoyed. He was br
ad in his sympathies and liberal in his thought. Perhaps no man in our community did a greater number of kindnesses to those in need, and no forward movement or worthy institution failed to elicit from him his hearty support.

Because of this, and other rare charms of personality and unusual business ability and judgment , he had acquired a prominent place both in the business and religious life of the community. At the time of his death he was a stockholder and director of the First National Bank at this place, a Trustee of the Hazard Baptist Institute and a Deacon of the First Baptist Church, and in all these offices he played the part of a man.

We hope that we may have a suitable obituary for publication in the near future written by some more intimate friend, To the grief-stricken wife and unfortunate children, and to all upon whom the blow of this sad event falls heavily, the sincere sympathy of the Herald and entire staff is extended.


Big Real Estate Transaction ( 9 / 12 / 1912 )

The Sale of the Newberry Property Was Spirited, Which Brought A Little Over $15,000

Mostly Main Street Property

The sale of property belonging to the estate of R. C. Newberry, deceased, took place on Monday, the ninth, as advertised, being conducted by M. C. Begley, of Hyden, as Special Commissioner. The proceeds from the entire property, as sold, amounted to a little more than $15,000.00. A little more than a year ago, the entire property, sold on Monday for that amount, would probably not have brought more than six or seven thousand dollars.

Undoubtedly the most spectacular feature of the sale was the spirited bidding for the Newberry lot on Main street, opposite the courthouse, and between the L. E. Johnson building and the Wootton & Morgan building. The lot has a forty-one feet front and brought $6,000.00, or approximately $150.00 per front foot. Few pretentious cities can boast of 

Undoubtedly the most spectacular feature of the sale was the spirited bidding for the Newberry lot on Main street

property that will bring such high prices. The purchasers were Frank Horn, P. T. Wheeler, Farmer Eversole and Capt. A. C. Rhinehart. Capt. Rhinehart will take the rear half of the lot, lying next to the river, and which is improved by the present residence of W. R. Feltner, and the other three will take the upper half of the lot, fronting on Main street, with the purpose of shortly erecting a large and handsome business building thereon.

The tract of land on Tan Trough branch, across from town, said to contain 120 acres, was purchased by Manon Cornett and John B. Eversole at $5,900.00. The purchasers own the other property adjoining the Newberry tract and sentiment had much to do with the extra high price paid.

Mrs. Lula Newberry, widow of R. C. Newberry, became the purchaser of the 17 shares of stock of the First National Bank of Hazard, owned by him, at $145.00 per share, and she also purchased the remainder estate in her home on College avenue, which was sold subject to her own dower interest therein. The price was $476.00.

The lot out near the college went to A. D. Campbell for $350. It was 110 feet front. That particular transaction has not been completed.

All real estate brought extraordinarily high prices, and strictly on a boom basis.


Thanks to Arlene Woods